4/7/11

Sunrise in Effrette

Trouble posting this one... sometimes I get the pictures and the words disappear, or the words are there and whoosh - where are the pictures.  Let's see if I can get them both!

Some days are better than others and yesterday was not fun.  So, what's an artist to do?  Create something that feels good to the soul.  I have been looking at these glass rods in my studio for quite a while.  Do I make glass beads?  Not really.  I have in the past and I make them to embellish my stained glass projects but I certainly don't consider myself a glass bead maker.

So, with the transition in my studio, my tables being completely filled with my 4.5'x14' windows for my Flint project, blah blah blah blah blah... I am using up my supplies.  These rods have been calling my name and yesterday was the day. 

I love transition of color.  And, I have been wanting to play with it using my glass rods.

So, one by one I started laying them out on the kiln shelf, blocking the ends with shelf pieces to keep the layers in place.  I was trying to replicate the window I created to the left here using end pieces of glass, and a beveled border.  Wasn't exactly trying to duplicate... just get a similar feel.

My first go around I didn't have the sun in the upper left corner in place.  And, I fired it a little too long.  When I opened the kiln the rods flattened more than I anticipated.  I wanted that rippled texture the semi fused rods would give.

Seeing that, I decided to fire it again, add more rods that would be fused at a lower temperature and I felt like it needed an element, like the sun, to give it an interesting area.  I am kind of liking how it is turning out.  It is still too hot to touch, although I tried (you know - too anxious).  But, there is a crack that runs along the side. 

I think what happened was when I turned on the kiln I thought I just turned on one ring of coils and I actually turned on 3 rings to start with.  I'm quite sure it got fired to fast because it was about an hour less than my first firing.  So - there is a crack.  That's ok.  I got to try it.  I am somewhat happy with the results.  Happy enough to know I want to build up my supply of rods again and try a few more times.

Got me through my hump.  And nothing changes my attitude like a little sunshine!

Pat Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment