10/5/09

Finally - A Stained Glass Project for ME

This has been a long time coming. I live with an electrician and you know what they say... we could definitely use an upgrade in that department.

But, to keep things fair... we don't have much stained glass either. That is about to change. We are getting ready to log side our house. My studio and our offices got a face lift a few years back with the intention to do the same to our house. Our friend and contractor, Arnold, has been taking measurements of the windows, doors, etc. to get ready.

My part was to make sure our view was not interfered with - I don't want any lines breaking up the view. We have a beautiful field and woods across the street and I can still remember the day we looked at our house and I sat in their chair and just stared out the window. Not much has changed. Our road is still dirt - or gravel as the Realtors like to call it. We still don't have many neighbors. But, our house is in need of an upgrade. So our front door and windows will remain solid glass.

Now, this drawing is VERY sketchy I know. But I know in my mind what I am doing so it is good enough for me. The glass on the top of this page is what I will use on the sidelights on either side of the door. The sidelights and transom will actually not show through the interior of our house because of the way it is built. So, they will be back lit and the lights will be accessible from outside. The transoms below the porch roof will probably be solid sheets of multi-colored glass from Uroboros. I will choose a glass that shows the color whether it is back lit or not. And some of the same glass will be used in the transoms and sidelights to bring it all together. I was originally thinking I wanted beveled glass in the transoms below the porch, but now I am considering just solid sheets of the multi colored glass.

This is how the process works. Now the excitement comes in and the ideas will most likely change some as I move through the project. That is the fun of not locking myself into a detailed drawing of what I want. As I create the window, if something doesn't look right I can easily change it.

I'll keep you posted!





No comments:

Post a Comment