10/15/09

Things To Do Before I Die

Wow. What an experience yesterday.

I have written before about Alden B. Dow but yesterday I got to "experience" him through his home and studio in Midland. I was only allowed into the lobby area, but I must have a hundred pictures of that room.

Have you ever walked into a place and left with a feeling that could not be described in words or photos? That is how I felt. Every time I took another step I could see another angle, another little hidden alcove, another set of stairs, how the water reflected on the ceiling if I sat here or on the floor if I sat there. The weight of the ceiling made you want to sit down in a chair and when sitting in the chair you were eye level with the water that came right up to the walls outside the room. The ceilings were pink and the carpet was green... I know, I know, I know it sounds awful but it was not at all. You really have to experience it yourself. This is one of those things that is on my "List of things to do before I die.". I really need to go back and tour the whole house, studio, and the grounds.

I was in Midland to give my proposal for a future project. They were using Dow as their inspiration and that was my reason for visiting in the first place. I have been going to Traverse City frequently since I was a kid to visit family. I don't know how many times we would just drive right by and not realize what a treasure is right in the middle of my own state.

Do me a favor and look up Alden B. Dow, read some of his work, look at photos... but you won't get the whole experience until you visit and see and feel all that he stood for.

If you get that opportunity... let me know what you felt!

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment