3/25/13

Glass Painting for Church In New Bern, NC

WHAT A FUN DAY!

I love watching the process of other artists at work and thought... maybe somebody is interested in how glass painting is done.

The first photo makes it look like I am ready to take off, but I am just protecting my lungs from airborne glass paint.

The whole process is not shown here but what you will see is how I am approaching this project.  The glass has already been through one firing where I outlined what I wanted to with simple lines.  That paint was mixed with clove oil, which is a medium I love to use when I need nice long strokes.  Once the lines were painted, fired to 1200 degrees, and the glass cooled overnight, I began the process for the 2nd firing. 

On this panel I chose to use a black tracers paint, mixed in a little gum arabic powder to stiffen it a little, ground the glass with water until I got the consistency I was looking for.  Actually, it came out a little stiffer than I planned, meaning it did not come off as easy with a brush as I hoped for.  Originally, I considered washing it all off and starting again but I like the look that I ended up with. 

So, to make a long story shorter... what you see here is Top Left:  Me in my mask, the next six photos on the right show the process of brushing off unwanted glass using a variety of tools and brushes, and the final piece in the kiln on the bottom left prior to firing once again to 1200 degrees.

Next posting will be my out of the kiln photo and my 3rd, and possibly final, firing.  Make it a great day!

Pat Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment