3/26/13

New Bern, NC (Final Firing - I Think)

Sometimes the hardest thing about painting, is knowing when to quit.

Taking a look at these photos you can see where I started on the bottom left.  Mixing glass paints with water, no gum arabic this time, and grinding it with a glass muller allows me to get a fine surface to work with.

Once the glass paint is mixed to my satisfaction, I paint a thin surface on the already fired glass.  Not mixing gum arabic in with the paints allows me to easily remove paint I don't want on the finished piece.  It brushes off with a fine bristle brush, a course brush, a cloth, or whatever other tools work to get the result you want. 

This time I will heat the kiln to 1250 degrees, because I am anticipating that this will be my final firing.  Once out of the kiln, and cooled, I will make that decision.

Can't wait!

Pat Deere


No comments:

Post a Comment