6/24/10

Day 155: Knowing my limitations can be a help or a hinderance...

Wow.  It's been a long time here...

Day 155 Growth Idea: Knowing my limitations can be a help or a hinderance.  I can remember working with a group of people one time about how all of our characteristics can be helpful or hurtful, depending on how we use them.  More about this down under "Today's Business".

Day 154 Donations:

Donations Running Total: $228.207

My History: Back to my new studio renovations.  Moving day was fun... just ask anybody who helped me.  Moving glass for most people is pretty intimidating.  It is fairly heavy.  Breakable.  Not easily packaged.  And I was only moving a block and a half away.  So we pretty much moved everything piece by piece on dolly's from my old studio into my new studio.  Thank God for friends and family.  Wish we would have taken pictures because it was a pretty interesting move.

Today's Business:  Sometimes I don't know when to call it quits, what jobs I should accept, and which ones I should let go.  Sometimes that is good.  I expand my knowledge, learn my limitations, and realize what I am good at and what I should let others do.  On the other hand, sometimes it gets me into frustrating situations that are difficult for me and not good for those I am trying to help.  Today's project was to replicate the sandblasted design for a front door from an historic Tecumseh home.  I have the knowledge, equipment, and supplies needed... but not for a window of the size needed by my customer.  I thought I could do it.  The design turned out great, as you can see from the photo.  The problem is where I had to mesh the masking material together.  It was just unacceptable to me.  Still not giving up though.  Tomorrow I will call my supplier to see if they can recommend somebody who can take the design I already computerized and transfer it onto a mask the size of the glass so there will be no seams.  My supplier of my sandblasting material is another resource for me to see if I can get what my customer needs.  The good thing is ... maybe I can still help him.  The bad thing is, I surely won't make money on this but I have learned my limitations, and possibly will learn how to handle a project like this next time around.  Right?!?

Today's Photo Above: The end result of my efforts to recreate the design given to me by a customer whose sidelights broke.  The design was recreated via American Bevel Designer, transferred onto photo sensitive film, transferred to glass, then sandblasted.

Today's Product:


Parrot Accent Lamp: Mission Style Stained Glass Panel. This link will take you to my web site page where you will find more info about this lamp, and others like it.


Pat Deere


LINKS:

~Parrot Accent Lamp

No comments:

Post a Comment