7/27/09

Traverse City, MI

Anybody who has been going to Traverse City for a number of years can relate.

Unfortunately, this dates me some. I can remember going to Traverse City in northern Michigan since I was born. My mom's family all live there. Like everything else, nothing stays the same, and Traverse City falls into that category of constant change. I can remember when... there were no fast food restaurants in town.

My Great Grandmothers house was an old stone house on the south west corner of Chums Corners. It was a landmark for years. This past week-end while visiting for a family reunion, the changes really hit home. We had to go west at Chums Corners and it took me a bit to realize where I was. It used to be so obvious... Grandma's house on one corner, the party store/bar on the other corner, a restaurant on another... . None of what used to be is there any more.

On the other hand, the beauty of the Bay is still an inspiration whether there is rain or sun. The drive leading up to it is phenominal. The smell of the area with the breeze blowing off the bay is worth the drive. And, their downtown is still a destination spot.

I love the Bay, the shopping, the relatives, the views, the smell and most of all, the feeling I get whenever I arrive.

Check it out if you never have.

Pat Deere

ps. Change isn't always bad and it is fun looking back!

Links: Traverse City http://www.visittraversecity.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment