9/17/09

Last October

It is fun when I can do glass and not paperwork in my studio. THAT, is a good day. This is my latest crushed glass piece getting ready for firing. I call this one Last October because it was inspired by a trip I took with my husband to Northern Michigan for our anniversary and a look at the color display. I must have taken 500 pictures. This was taken somewhere along the way. Possibly around the Boyne area. When we went, the color was the best there.

I have been playing with crushed glass, using System 96, mostly transparent pieces. This is actually only about 2/3-3/4 done with the layering process. I find that if I take photos in the flash mode as I am layering the glass, I get a better idea of what it will look like when it comes out of the kiln. I try to layer it about 1/2" thick so it is not brittle.

This is the time of the year to be in Northern Michigan if you plan a color tour. We are going again in October - I hope. We are planning on being in the Upper Peninsula but the color will probably be better at that time in upper lower Michigan.


I am hoping to have this piece out of the kiln and incorporated into a stained glass panel so I can take it to Art-A-Licious in Adrian tomorrow. While it is firing, I'll be working on a fireplace screen, a display for my nightlights and fused glass bowls, etc. etc. etc.

Hope to see you there!

Pat Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment