7/28/08

Torch Working Ideas

I have been having a riot working with my torch again. This morning I was reading an article in the latest edition of Fortune Small Business. They have a web site, www.fsb.com . I got on it this morning to see if I could find the article I read in their July/August 2008 issue called, The Art Of Glass, and they only have past issues posted through May 2008. So keep watching for it.

Anyway, I have been working making pulled glass flowers like the one shown above on my name tag. I got an opportunity to make a large one at Greenfield Village in Dearborn for only $28 and anybody can do it. Their web address is: http://www.thehenryford.org/ . When I got back to my studio, I decided to try to make them in miniature on my bead torch and they are turning out very fun. Because a student brought in an article about people cutting glass bottles to make flower vases, I have been cutting the bottles and adding these cute little flowers and making very fun looking vases, business card holders, pencil holders, etc.

Then, when I read the article in Fortune this morning and saw them highlighting one company who uses the other end of the bottles to make wine glasses - guess what? I got excited again and tried it in the torch. So much you can do with recycled products.

My advise... go to glass shows, read articles, get excited and try some of this stuff at your studio! We all need inspiration every now and then and what better place to get it than a museum or art exhibit. The Lenawee Council for the Visual Arts has a really cool exhibit right now called Nature Inspired. There is a glass artist who has a beautiful mosaic mirror that is worth checking out. http://lcvamembers.blogspot.com/ This is their blog link with hours listed. You might want to call before you go, however, because this is a volunteer gallery and they don't always have somebody to sit for them.

Class Notes: I teach glass bead making at my studio. You don't have to do just beads. Try something different like these pulled glass flowers, wine glasses from bottles, etc. Give me a call about what you would like to learn and we can work out a good day for you!

Have fun, Pat Deere

2 comments:

  1. Very cool business cards! The pulled glass flowers are great...
    PFH

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete