2/4/09

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch & Recycling Lead

Wow. If you haven't heard about it, you will want to read about it, and for sure you will want to do something about it.

These articles I have links to here talk about the huge garbage dump floating in the Pacific Ocean. All of the articles (when I searched "ocean garbage dump") bring the responsibility back to each of us. In my glass studio, I rarely throw anything away. I do the best I can to recycle my glass, lead, paper and plastic. Reading these articles about all of the plactic pieces found in the fish we eat ... my favorite food ... is pretty alarming and makes me want to be more diligent. I carry canvas bags for my groceries and they actually work better than the cheap plastic that breaks and spew groceries all over.

For any of you within the distance of my Tecumseh, MI studio, feel free to bring your unused lead to me for recycling or take it to Omnisource in Adrian, MI. Their address and more locations can be found by clicking onto their web site: www.OmniSource.com , then click on "Locations". Today, the Adrian location is paying 12 cents per pound for lead.

The above photo and great article can be seen by going to: http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jul/10-the-worlds-largest-dump

The following information was received from: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/19/SS6JS8RH0.DTL&hw=pacific+patch&sn=001&sc=1000

How to help
You can help to limit the ever-growing patch of garbage floating in the Pacific Ocean. Here are some ways to help:
Limit your use of plastics when possible. Plastic doesn't easily degrade and can kill sea life.
Use a reusable bag when shopping. Throwaway bags can easily blow into the ocean.
Take your trash with you when you leave the beach.
Make sure your trash bins are securely closed. Keep all trash in closed bags.
Trash is also a problem in parts of San Francisco Bay. For an interactive map showing some of the worst locations, go to www.savesfbay.org/baytrash.
- Justin Berton jberton@sfchronicle.com

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment