8/3/09

Arab American Civil Rights Window In Progress

What an exciting day yesterday. My trip to the museum proved to be an invaluable resource. My design ideas are becoming pretty solid. Now I just have to solidify the content.

I am realizing that calligraphy is one of the greatest art forms in the Arab world. That will be the basis of my design. I have been playing around with what it will look like and a "very" preliminary sketch is shown here. I believe I will have the mission statement for Arab/American Civil Rights translated in to traditional Arabic calligraphy and sandblasted into the central section of the window.

The organizations and relevant people will be done in English calligraphy on the bottom and sides of the window. Some kind of mosaic-like work will be included in the design as well.

August 13th I will know if the committee approves my design. But, at least now I can sleep knowing I have a direction that feels good. In the mean time, I will perfect what I am thinking and continue my research.

A trip to the museum would be very eye opening for anybody interested in expanding their views about the Arab American population. I left with an overwhelming feeling of who some of these individuals are, what their hopes and dreams are, and how much they are just like me in many ways.

Pat Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment