8/2/09

I'm so excited about this project!

Here is a little brain tour about how my process sometimes works...

I have been commissioned to work on a series of 5 of the 14 windows that will be installed at the Flint Bus Depot. I was commissioned through Greg Fiedler at the Flint Arts Council, for the Michigan Transportation Authority. They picked a series of groups to represent their civil rights struggles, accomplishments, organizations, etc.

My most recent commission is the Arab American Civil Rights topic. I was very unsure about this subject for a long time. Mostly, because I don't know enough about it to be sure I am representing it properly.

First: I was given a list of names and organizations to include.

Second: I started researching the backgrounds of each of them. Some, have obvious connections with civil rights and others... seem to just be famous people. So, I have more research to do.

Third: My artistic approach? Wow. This is where I ran into trouble. So, yesterday while I was at Cedar Point (an amusement park in Ohio) with my son and friend, my real ideas started formulating. They went on a ride that I had no interest in going on. Starbucks had computers so I got online and again, started researching. I saw some beautiful prayer rugs and thought that would be the basis of my design. Then, more research showed me the most relevant form of artwork would be calligraphy. The photo above came from the link below. Now, I have a place to start artistically.

Fourth: How do I correctly represent a people that I really don't know enough about to be sure I am not offending and at the same time properly representing important people, places, and facts. Phone call upon phone call lead me to a wonderful resource. When my children attended St. Joseph Academy in Adrian, MI we had a family whose background fit my topic. Today, I contact her and her husband, will hopefully meet with them tomorrow, and I will be able to use them as my sounding board. This is a comfort level that was missing from the start.

Fifth: Today I am heading to the Arab American National Museum in Dearborn, MI for more inspiration. What better place to go for a resource.

The bottom line for me is... what an education I am getting. I am probably what most people consider a typical white, middle class, female. What this means is - there is so much for me to know about other people, where they come from, what their struggles are and were, what makes them who they are and so on.

Sixth: This is where the excitement begins and the project really starts to unfold. Sleepless nights will happen. Last night I got home at 3am and was up at 7:30am on my computer researching design ideas. And - I am not a late night person... so the inspiration is taking hold.

I'll keep you informed as this project progresses!

Pat Deere

Links:
Art of Arabic Calligraphy http://www.touregypt.net/HistoricalEssays/calligraphy.htm
Arab American National Museum http://www.arabamericanmuseum.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment