1/20/10

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 1

DAY 1 Donations: $0

Todays %: 0

Donations Running Total: $0

DAY 1 Growth Idea: To Start This Blog

Today I have decided to take this blog in a different direction, and intersperse my current projects at the same time. I am doing this for several reasons:

REASONS FOR THIS BLOG CHANGE:
1) This is my year.
2) Writing helps me learn. It helps me to reflect about where I was and where I want to be.
3) Many people are considering starting businesses today. People are out of jobs, mothers (or fathers) want to stay home with their children. I will try to be as honest as possible about the pros and cons of the path I took, the money it cost, the emotional ups and downs, etc.
4) I have found that by blogging, it has helped push me through things in my business that I may not have done. Can't explain it... it just is.
5) I just watched Julia and Julia last night. If you haven't watched it, it is a movie about a woman who loved to write, who loved Julia Childs, and who used her daily blog to combine those loves and get her out of her slump.

GOALS WITH DAILY WRITING:
1) To do something new each day that will help my business grow, no matter how little it is.
2) To reach my goals for charitable donations based on my sales by 365 days from now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My History:
A little about my history, I have always loved art. As a child I would draw, paint, did a lot of pen and ink. I loved the detail work but never felt like I was as good as I wanted to be. Never felt that I was as good as other kids in my art classes. And, as a young person never thought I could use my art as a career.

I took jewelry, macrame, painting, drawing, and general art through middle school. I attended art camp. I was fortunate enough to go to Wayne Memorial High School. It is a large suburban school that offered a wide variety of classes. One of their programs was Commercial Art and I loved that class. We made magazine covers, ads for company, etc. and it helped me to realize that art can be used as a means of making money. Guess that kind of got me started! At least got me started in my brain. The confidence to follow through on my passion took much longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today's Business:
I met with Julie Rhora, an interior designer in Tecumseh (a photo from her web site is at the top of this page). I wish she and I had worked together in the past. I feel like we work very well together. She can kind of give me an idea, and I can go with it and come up with something she and her customers can get excited about.

Today, she came to my studio and home. I gave her ideas for one of her customers that who are considering sidelights and transoms for their entry. We are leaning towards a design that will utilize clear textured glass, blown glass rondels, and glass bevels. She is fortunate enough to have a long standing relationship with this customer. She believes they will love the idea... I'll let you know.

I am also having her work with me on covering our log futon, rocking chair, and window treatments. Right now they will go into my home, and will also be taking them to my Lakefront and Cottage show at the Rock Financial Showplace in Novi next month. I'll post pictures when we get that far.

Future posts will be shorter. But each will include: My history, updated goals, and todays business. Until tomorrow,

Pat Deere

LINKS: Great Ideas and Interiors, Tecumseh MI








No comments:

Post a Comment