1/26/10

Day 8: Crushed Glass Preparation

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 8

Day 7 Donations: $ .

Donations Running Total: $.368084

Day 8 Growth Idea: Weld a steel box for crushing glass.

I wasn't sure how many of these crushed glass pieces I would make so I had a flimsy box made of a Plexiglas hinged cover, plastic sides, a copper plate on the bottom, and a material curtain to hold in the glass shards as we hammer them with a sledge hammer to the proper size. If I am going to make these efficiently in the future, a better box for sledging needs to be made. Brandi has been king of struggling with our current system. Today's project has been cut out for me. Previous goals... the form letter has been added, and my bulletin board is full of "works in progress". It's much easier for me to visually see what needs to be done.

My History: One of the last classes I took prior to opening my studio was a Tiffany Style Lamp making Class in Toledo, OH. I purchased an old oil lamp that had been electrified. I designed the shade to match the base, purchased the hardware and glass sconce from a glass artist in Ann Arbor, and put it all together for a beautiful finished look. As I continued to work on glass projects, the thoughts about a studio became stronger. I was hooked. My future was becoming clearer.

Today's Business: Busy day planned. 7:30 am - I start with a meeting with a potential customer who is starting a new business. 9:00am - Meet with a church who is looking for information about possible repair work to their windows. Before the next meeting I will stop by the steel supplier to pick up necessary pieces to create a better box for my glass crushing needs. 11:30am - Meet with my marketing consultant. And, somewhere along the way I want to start a new crushed glass piece using a photo I took in Colorado as my inspiration.

Pat Deere

NOTE: My Free Class Thursday is filling up!






No comments:

Post a Comment