1/21/10

Todays Goal: Web Site Additions


365 Days Of My Life As a Studio Artist: Day 2

Day 2 Donations:

Todays %:

Donations Running Total: $

Day 2 Growth Idea: Web Site Additions
- About 5 years ago I bought into a web site program called StoresOnline because it allowed me total access to my site. Previously I was dependent on web programmers to make changes which meant paying for and waiting for each change. So, I created a Procedures page for our Procedures Manual so Dana can learn to take good photos of my items, put them on the computer, crop them, insert them into my web site, add the appropriate information so they can be sold, and add the information to my Quickbooks program so it will be easy to handle the sale of the items. We have a lot to do today but I will be at Boyne Mountain skiing with my family tomorrow. This will give her plenty to do while I am gone. I am excited about this because, although my web site comes up pretty high during searches, I am not selling a lot of finished items because I don't have enough finished pieces on my site. Most of my sales are for custom work, which I love, but on site sales need to be increased.

My History: After high school I had to decide what to do. Coming from a middle class family, my father worked at Metro Airport, owned a cleaning business at the same time for a while, and helped my mother raise 7 children. I was 3rd. My mother was a stay at home mom and worked for General Motors after my baby brother Jeffrey got a little older. Although we talked about college, the priority when I was growing up was to learn what I needed so I could get a good job out of high school, get benefits, and support myself. During my parents era, and even when I graduated from high school in 1978, you could still get a good job, work there for many years, and retire with a decent income. So that is what I did. I started work at Manufacturers Bank in Dearborn as a secretary, went to school part time at Henry Ford Community College, moved out of the house with my sister and a friend, and began my search of "What do I want to do with my life?".

Today's Business: Giving classes, for me, is a very enjoyable activity. My recent student, Kathy, came in full of energy and ready to go. We started with a traditional stained glass panel, 12 months ago. It was about 8"x10" with a bevel in the center. She took private lessons which allowed her some very devoted time with my instruction. 12 months later... look at what she has done. I have helped her several times in between, visited her home to guide her through some of the difficulty of working with large windows, and talked with her on the phone quite a bit. But, the photo on todays blog is all the work of her hands. Way to go Kathy!

Pat Deere

LINKS: StoresOnline, Stained Glass Classes




No comments:

Post a Comment