3/1/09

Day one in Chicago did not disappoint.

Actually, I am in Warrenville, which is a suburb of Chicago. After driving 5 hours on a perfectly beautiful, sunny, 28 degree day, I checked into my hotel and decided to see what they had for entertainment. Not really wanting to drive into Chicago by myself after driving all day, I looked around Warrenville. I ended up on the campus of Wheaton College to see the Dublin Philharmonic Orchestra, of which I knew nothing about. But, when I clicked onto their web site to check it out and listened to this bit on You tube, I knew I had to hear them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OAXCy3YS54&mode=user&search= .

I used to not go places like this by myself, being a little self conscious about it. But, then I realized I was cheating myself of some wonderful experiences. So, sitting in the seat by myself I closed my eyes and took in the sounds. Not realizing it would move me the way it did, I searched around for a pencil and something to draw on so I could get my feelings on paper.

The result was a few quick sketches that captured what I was feeling inside while the orchestra played. Since I was by myself, in a city far from my home, with nobody sitting directly beside me or behind me, I didn't have to worry about what people thought about my totally getting into this performance. Had I gone with somebody else, I don't think the depth of the concert would have been so profound and I surely wouldn't have started sketching what was going on inside me. I am anxious to put it into glass.

This reminds me to encourage you to visit your local live entertainment outlets. If you live in my community, check out the Tecumseh Center for the Arts: http://thetca.org/performances/events.htm . Last year I was given free tickets to see Natalie McMaster. I am now embarrassed to say, I didn't know who she was. Needless to say, I got tired in my seat watching her... 8 months pregnant, dancing around the stage and playing the fiddle like nothing I had ever heard before. And what a bargain. The same week she played in a neighboring city for almost twice what I paid. Can't beat live entertainment. To hear Natalie, try clicking on one of her songs on this link. But really, unless you are watching and listening at the same time, it's just not the same. http://www.nataliemacmaster.com/recordings/yourstruly.htm#soundclips .

Tomorrow morning at 7:30am I'll be at Ed Hoy's glass sale. Lot's of good stuff in their flyer - can't wait to see it and bring it back with me.

Pat Deere

Classes: This past week I was able to give a private lesson to a customer wanting to learn how to do stained glass but not wanting to wait for a group lesson. What an experience for both of us. If you would like to put a design that is in your head, onto paper, and then into a glass window... perhaps a private lesson would help you out!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What great music Pat! Thanks for introducing me to Natalie's music... love it and I've never heard of her either. Is that because I'm way down south in Texas? Hope you had fun at the glass sale and got lots of goodies!

    ReplyDelete