8/19/10

Virgin Islands - Here We Come


Today's Business:  Well, I got a quote sent out to a church in the Virgin Islands.  This is an exciting possibility for me.  They are looking for a very traditional style of glass which means a lot of glass painting, lead came construction, and a design where the pictures tell a story.

In the Catholic church, stained glass windows were used to tell stories of the bible and help people understand through pictures.  Children could see what was happening before they could read and adults could be inspired through the artwork.  For myself, although I know the church is made up of the people and not of the art, it is the art that often initially attracts me to enter a church building.  That is the goal of this church in the Virgin Islands.  Their goal is to have the Stations of The Cross painted on 15 of the windows. 

The 15 Stations this church is looking for includes depictions of the following scenes:

1.   Jesus is condemned to death
2.   Jesus is given his cross
3.   Jesus falls the first time
4.   Jesus meets His Mother
5.   Simon of Cyrene carries the cross
6.   Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
7.   Jesus falls the second time
8.   Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem
9.   Jesus falls the third time
10. Jesus is stripped of His garments
11. Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
12. Jesus dies on the cross
13. Jesus' body is removed from the cross (Deposition or Lamentation)
14. Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense.
15. Resurrection of Jesus

What an honor it will be, if given the opportunity, to work on my vision of each of the scenes and know that what I have been asked to create could affect many people in a positive way for years to come.

My History:  Writing about the history of stained glass in the church made me feel like going back to my history.  One of my favorite memories of my studio on 115 W. Maumee Street in Adrian was when my mom and Grandma came to visit.  My Grandma lived in Traverse City and didn't come down very often.  She and Grandpa were milk farmers and that made it hard for them to get away.  When they did get away, it was usually for a specific event like a birth, anniversary, etc.  She came when my studio was just opened, not much displayed yet, but it had a very nice look.  This will always be a good memory for me.

Growth Idea:   I have been having a Vicki help me out and am continuing with that still.  She only comes once a week but is a true asset for my business.

Today's Product:   Glass painting brings so many possibilities to a stained glass window.  It can be anything from a traditional style I described above that this church wants, or something as simple as the lake shore scene shown here.

This was a wedding gift for a young couple who visited Lake Cumberland.  The scenes are all simple and beautiful.  This hanging panel includes a piece of rock taken from the shore that a fisherman made of wire is standing on.  The scrap glass used for the frame was chosen because of it's unusual color and shape.  If you have ever been on Lake Cumberland you will know how the lake jogs and curves around in a very unusual pattern that reminds me of these pieces of glass.   This is what makes custom gifts so fun.  They can be catered to fit your exact needs.

LINKS:  Glass Painting classes and Custom Stained Glass

Pat Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment