3/6/10

Day 46: It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee...

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 46

Day 45 Donations: $

Donations Running Total: $31.607.28

Today's Growth Idea: It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity. (by: Dave Barry) .  Sometimes you just gotta have it to help you get through the day, especially on the days when you are trying to pack 2 days worth of work into one.

My History:  One of the books I considered my glass bible talked about self promotion.  That is not something I was good at during this time of building up the business for my studio.  Stained glass is something people like, are curious about, shows up well in pictures, and is not something you see everybody else doing.  I am realizing now that it makes good news - but didn't take advantage of it during the early years of my business.

Today's Business:  Today I am finishing picking out glass for my Flint windows.  I already have the glass picked out for 2 of them:  Women's Rights and Arab American Rights.  I am currently working on getting the glass for, "The Migrants" window by Greg Perez.  I still have to pick out glass for 5 other designs before leaving for Chicago in the morning.

Today's Photos:  The  section of the design shown above by Greg Perez shows Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor surrounded by Hibiscus Flowers which are the state flower of Puerto Rico, Monarch Butterflies that migrate to Mexico every year, Oyamel Fir trees that the butterflies are drawn to, and the coffee plant that is representative of hispanic origin.  Greg's link is below where you can see a photo of the full design.  I am so excited to work with Greg on this window because his approach to art is so different from mine.  I am hoping I can learn a new skill that will be put to use in other projects.  His specialty as an artist is printmaking with linoleum and wood.  The photo to the left shows my glass easel, 5 sections totalling about 5'x15', with the glass selections for this window laid out.  The photo to the right is a close up of one section of the window with sections of glass I will be using for the hibiscus, the Ruby Throated Hummingbird, the Oyamel Fir Tree, and the Monarch Butterflies.  I like to lay the glass out on the easel with photos I use for reference, in the order they will appear in the final design. It helps me to picture the finished window in my head and see how all of the glass colors will work with the rest of the glass chosen.

Pat Deere

LINKS: Gregorio Perez, Arte Goyo

No comments:

Post a Comment