3/18/10

Day 57: Feeling kind of blue.

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 57

Day 56 Donations: $6.29

Donations Running Total: $38.3168

Today's Growth Idea: Feeling kind of blue... means I have to allow myself to feel sorry for myself for a few minutes.  Then, get over it and get some work done.

My History: Seems like a good day to talk about past employees, what worked and what didn't, what I learned, etc.  Hiring has to be one of the most difficult parts of owning a business.  Paying somebody enough to keep them if they are good, and allowing them to be let go if they are not pulling their weight.  I was pretty fortunate when I first opened my business to find somebody named Flo.  She had been in the glass business for a long time and was very beneficial to me.  She was able to give me advice and suggestions if she saw them and was also willing to do the work that needed to be done when necessary.  My customers loved her and I did too.  That was not always the case though.

Today's Business: First of all I have to get past the fact that our new office assistant, Dana, who we love has found another job.  It is tough.  With the economy the way it is we probably were not paying her what she was worth.  On the other hand, she was just getting to the point after about 3 months where she was able to move forward with some of the things that would have helped her and us.  So, on top of getting ready for my show this week-end, working on my Flint patterns, and making jewelry and vases for this week-end... I have to consider how to move forward from here.  Do I want to train another person for 3 months and have them leave for a better opportunity?  Should I hire somebody for the sales end of our business, keep our previous bookeeper for payroll and taxes, and another part time person for filing and incidentals?  This may keep the flow going if I lose one leg of the operation.  Continuity was and still is a concern.  Think I'm ready to get back to work.

Today's Photo: Titled: Lady In Blue.  This was a fun piece I donated to our local gallery, the LCVA (Lenawee Council for the Visual Arts) for a fundraiser a few years back.  They asked people to make boxes, things that looked like boxes, were box shaped, etc.  Although this was a strech... it worked.  I made it with scrap pieces of painted blue glass, a sandblasted face left over form another project, and part of a fused glass piece that broke.  Kind of wish I would have kept this one.

Pat Deere

LINKS:  I'll be at the Palace of Auburn Hills Spring Home & Garden Show on  Friday and Saturday.  Come check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment