3/1/10

Day 41: Know my limitations!

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 41
Day 40 Donations: $ .60275
Donations Running Total: $30.2023 (My running total donation is going to the Sand Lake Volunteer Fire Department for my labor for sandblasting the beveled glass retirement plaque for them.)
Today's Growth Idea: Know my limitations. This is not always easy for me. I feel like I should be able to do everything that has to do with glass. I often can, but I can't always do it justice.
My History: While in this studio I was commissioned to create new windows for St. Joseph Catholic Church in Adrian. This was my first church commission and it consisted of windows created in a mouth blown glass called, Lambert's Clear Reamy, framed with brass came, and included a beveled border with names of parishioners sandblasted into them. I had the opportunity to experience the church on a committee level. This was a wonderful opportunity for me and it is always satisfying for me to know when working with projects like this, that they will likely be installed there for at least the next 100 years.
Today's Business: The plaque shown here was just picked up by one of the volunteer firemen. I explained my limitations with the sandblasting equipment I have, and they are happy (even though I saw flaws). We decided next time to create the letters larger, because the issue with the equipment I have is that it does not clearly blast through my resist if the letters are really small. I am in the process of cleaning up after the hurricane came through and dropped of all of the stuff that was in my trailer and the rented Budget truck from this week-ends show.
Today's Photo: St. Joseph Catholic Church, Baptistery.
Pat Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment