3/12/10

Day 51: Give to a good cause... the Ann Arbor Skatepark

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 51

Day 49 Donations: $.41917

Donations Running Total: $32.04675

Today's Growth Idea: Give to a good cause using your talents to their fullest.  Today's cause is the effort a large group has been working towards building a skate park in Ann Arbor, MI.

My History:  The more I thought about this building the more I felt like it was meant to be mine.  My life was extremely busy with my boys now all in school, my home life a little hairy, and my business growing but still not very profitable.  I am continuing to put money into more glass and supplies, advertising, and creating relationships with other businesses in the area.  I liked the idea of this new studio because it was on one of the main roads in Adrian and almost everybody coming into Adrian would see my sign.  It attracted people from Hillsdale, Toledo, and of course Lenawee County.

Today's Business:  My Flint windows.  The drawings are not going as smoothly as planned.  I bought The Glass Eye software program because I could use it to print on a large sheet printer  (2' wide).  But, I am having trouble getting it to print properly.  The lines are not lining up and, it doesn't show the detail of my border lead, and the size appears to be off.  Not good.  These windows need to be exact because they will be placed in thermopaned glass prior to installation.  So, looks like I am taking what came off the printer and altering it by hand.

Today's Photo:  Titled:   Travis, Mid-Air  My latest crushed glass piece (on the left) was inspired by a photo of my son Travis (on the right) skating in some off the wall spot.  My original intention with this piece was to cut the figure and tire with a band saw to get a good likeness of him.  My second thought was to try it all in crushed glass.  I like it.  Although it is more abstract looking, I think it gives him more movement and makes the piece look alive.  He said the event is 12-6 tomorrow at 704 Airport Drive, Ann Arbor.

Pat Deere
LINKS: 
~Article about Washtenaw County pledging $400,000 towards the park.
~Event info on Facebook from Red Belly Boardshop in Ann Arbor.

Featured Glass:  Travis Mid-Air will be added to my web site.  The site has changed some so if it is not on there today, it will be added shortly.  Any photo can be created in crushed glass.   What a great gift for the person who has everything don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. I understand they raised $20,000 towards their goal. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete