2/28/10

Day 40: Make A Difference In Somebody's Life

365 Days of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 40

Day 39 Donations:

Donation Running Total:

Today's Growth Idea: Make a difference in somebodies life! I was driving to the Cottage Show yesterday morning after 2 days of practically no visitors to the show, feeling a little depressed about how it was turning out after so much effort. I was thinking to myself, if I could just make a difference in somebodies life that day, it would be a good day and I wouldn't need to worry about how the show was going. As soon as I walked in, I talked to an older vendor at the show who paid me a very nice compliment... I made a difference in his life. I also talked to the grandfather of a little girl who is trying to raise money to send three terminally ill children to camp. She has been doing this for three years. She is only 13 now. I told him I would donate some stained glass to her cause for her fundraising purposes.

My History: During this time, I also made sure whenever I did custom work, I would get 50% down prior to starting the job. I got caught earlier on in my business working with customers I thought I could trust. So, I ordered glass and started the project prior to getting a down payment. Unfortunately, there was a lack of communication on their part and I found out through their contractor that they changed their mind about the project... after I already paid for the glass. Experience changes how you do business.

Today's Business: I am going back to the Cottage and Lakefront Show. Yesterday proved to be a much better day than the day before. The weather cooperated, I96 was not closed twice due to accidents like the day before, a lot of people stopped and talked to us and were very complimentary about our products. Today is the last day of the show if you were planning on coming out!

Today's Photo: A section of my booth including 1 wall of stained glass and my log furniture display.

Pat Deere

LINKS: The Cottage and Lakefront Living Show

No comments:

Post a Comment