2/3/10

What was I thinking?

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 16

Day 15 Donations: $1.16712

Donations Running Total: $3.142699

Day 16 Growth Idea: Profitable Glass Quarterly. Reading trade publications always helps me. This months Profitable Glass Quarterly is exciting from the first page. The Editor tells of the Celebrity Cruise she went on that raised over $14,000 for scholarships and efforts to deliver glass art books and magazines to art teachers. So in between visiting the islands, there were glass classes, workshops, seminars, etc. This kind of inspiration is priceless to me. It reminds me of what the Michigan Glass Guild did for me in my early years. The link for the next cruise is listed below. (In this photo, my husband thought he was a photographer and... I don't know what I was thinking. For most of you who know me, my normal dress is jeans and work shoes. This room of the cruise ship was all hands - the walls - the chairs - and all the decorations. I was talking to my cousins wife and we are both dorky enough to only rollerblade with wrist guards on. Can't imagine being without my hands. I have even practiced doing things left handed, just in case something was to happen. Ever try brushing your teeth with your left hand?)

My History: Making customers want what I had was not so easy. Early on, I joined the Michigan Glass Guild. That was a wonderful resource for me even though I couldn't make it to very many events. The Guild would have monthly pot-lucks at a different glass artists studio. I didn't know anybody, and didn't feel qualified to be there, but I learned from every meeting I went to. I would see other artists techniques, their approach to their art, and their ideas about how to market themselves.

Today's Business: Busy. I have a lot of projects started that need finishing. One of them is a sandblasted window that I am duplicating to match an existing window for a customers home. The design was created using American Bevel Designer II, it was printed out on vellum, developed on Photobrasive film, and transferred to the glass for sandblasting. Better get busy.







LINKS: KBW Foundation Cruise 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment