2/2/10

Day 15: Educating the Uneducated

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 15

Day 14 Donations: $

Donations Running Total: $1.97558

Day 15 Growth Idea: Educating the Uneducated. Let me explain... Tuesday I was questioned about my knowledge of how to support stained glass by somebody who had no experience with it. My first instinct was to defend myself, and ignore his request. I knew that wasn't the best strategy. Today, as part of this "growth idea" thing, I searched the net for business strategies and read a story about a very unhappy customer who had a business owner bend over backwards to make things right. So, that is my plan. I have acquired the appropriate documentation to back up my technique. I will email it to him and the owner in the morning, follow it up with a phone call, and be prepared to answer in detail any questions left unanswered. This takes a lot more time but in the long run, I know I did the best I could to put his uneasiness to rest. I think sometimes as artists, and business owners, we forget that most people don't necessarily know the details of our business and it is our job to educate them about it.

My History: So, I am now a new business owner with an 18 month old and a brand new baby boy. As I am learning the ins and outs of caring for two babies, I am also learning the ins and outs of running a business. And, not just any business. A stained glass business is not necessarily one that people "need". I had to learn how to make customers "want" what I had.

Today's Business: Exciting! I am meeting with Julie at Great Ideas to confirm my order for futon covers, rocker covers, and draperies. I will be using these for the Cottage & Lakefront Living Show in a few weeks. The show publicist has asked for one of my crushed glass panels to use in their TV ads as part of a collection of work that is representative of what people can expect to find there this year. And, I'll be working with Dana, our office assistant about how to improve our office procedures. It just keeps getting better.

LINKS: Preservation Brief #33 Photo shown above. The Preservation and Repair of Historic Stained and Leaded Glass, Neal A. Vogel and Rolf Achilles

Great Ideas Interior Design Studio


Pat Deere

No comments:

Post a Comment