2/5/10

Day 17: Assuming Got Me Nowhere

365 Days Of My Life As A Studio Artist: Day 17

Day 16 Donations: $3.50709

Donations Running Total: $6.659789

Day 17 Growth Idea: Not Assuming
I lost a job (but not the customer) yesterday that I pretty much thought was a given for me. This customer was in a hurry and told me what they wanted, the deadline, the price range they had to work with, and how they heard of me (from the Sourcebook at Guild.com). What did I learn? Don't assume, no matter how promising it sounds, that it is a for sure till the contract is signed and the money is received. Although time has shown me this is true, because of our initial conversations, I didn't send this potential customer all of the information I normally send with a quote... my resume, my list of references, past jobs, etc. I was told I was not working with a committee so the CD slide show of previous jobs, and my technique was not important. In the end, her biggest concern was a lack of knowledge of my work and not having seen previous jobs I have completed and their quick turnaround time did not allow her the opportunity to visit jobs I have already installed. Next time, I'll send it all and they can weed out what they don't want.

My History: In the early years of my business I did a lot of advertising in newspapers, radio, etc. I'm not going to say it didn't work, but I didn't see a direct response to that advertising. Internet was not really popular then and I didn't use the Internet for advertising. About a year after moving into the small space in Tecumseh, I moved to the building next door. The space was much larger, but it was on the 2nd floor. Although I did not have a main floor window, I did have much more room and lots of windows to display my glass work. If I remember right, I moved into this space about the same time I found out I was pregnant with my third child. But, I kept moving forward. The lamp shown here was one of my first custom made pieces some employees had made for their boss.

Today's Business: #1 on the list for today is to send the customer above the documentation not included initially. I will be sending a list of my references and public places she can see my work in. Future jobs could depend on her getting this information. #2 on the list is to finish several small projects I need to get paid for. Monday I want to start gluing glass to my easels for my Women's Rights window.

LINKS: Guild Sourcebooks This is a wonderful full photo book of artwork of all kinds in public places, private residences, churches, and commercial buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment