1/21/09

Misc. - Yesterday, Lead Free Solder, Mosaic Class...

What a day yesterday! I was glued to the tv. If only a fraction of the expectations of this new presidency can be accomplished, how exciting that will be.

My FREE mosaic class for this Saturday from 9am-10am will be followed by class times ranging from 2-4 hours for those interested in glass classes of any kind. For those coming for my FREE class, we will either be working on Tara, my mannequin that has already been partially completed with a Breast Cancer theme, or a new mannequin idea called, "First Ladies". I'm kind of excited about this so if you do come, please bring ideas with you. If you don't have any ideas, that's ok, I have plenty for both of us. And, mosaic glass is FREE also. I have a lot to get rid of. It is sorted by colors already. Take the whole box and it's FREE. Pick a piece here and there and it's only 50cents a pound. I really would like to get rid of it. This is also great for 4H groups, church groups, schools, etc. So... pass the word.

Solder - I have made a concerted effort to use only lead free solder. Green is the buzz word of today and I have been toying with this idea for a long time. For those of you who do stained glass... you know it is more difficult to work with, does not take well to patina, and does not polish up as easily as it's leaded competitor. That said, it can be done. Workng with lead free solder is better for you and our environment.

I have contacted the manufacturer of the solder I use most often, Canfield, and asked them for their input. On their web site I read that you may have to try different fluxes, play with temperature, etc. When I hear back from them I will let you know what I hear. If you have suggestions along the lead free solder line, let us know. For some technical information from their site, go to: http://www.canfieldmetals.com/stained_glass.htm .

Enjoy the day! Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment